Thursday, December 19, 2013

Christmas Countdown! Day Seven

When I first started embroidering blocks for my Winter Wonderland quilt, I knew I would be using a blue floss. The first block I worked on was the Snow Angel just because it was my favorite block.
 I used what I guess would be called a "counrtry" blue, and before I finished the block I realized that it wouldn't be the right color for my quilt. I ended up using cobalt blue and was much happier with the end results. 
Winter Wonderland
A few years ago, Country Fabrics in Brainerd had a small quilt challenge. It was the perfect opportunity to use my "test" block from Winter Wonderland. I framed the block with little snowball blocks and a snowflake border.

Winter Wonderland
Little stars and crystals in the outer border and finished with a stripe binding.
Store customers voted on the quilts and I won a shop gift certificate!

Winter Wonderland
Completed 2010--measures 21.5" x 24.5"
This is one of my favorite little quilts even if it did start out as a "mistake"!

Pam Curo Cottontales
Another wintry piece I've made is The First Snow designed by Pam Curo of Cottontales.
Pam has a quilt shop, Piecemaker's, that she runs with her parents Ed and Mary in Hackensack 
(about 30 minutes north of my home).
They vend at a lot of the big quilt shows, so you may have met them!


Pam Curo Cottontales
Love that chubby little chickadee!
Made with wool felt--measures 14" across.
I belonged to an applique group at Piecemaker's when Pam designed this mat.
We were the test group and the first to make this cute little mat.

2 comments:

  1. Oh love your snowman and chickadee pieces. thanks for the link to her shop--does this mean my list will be growing --again??? (ROTFLOL) hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two cuties, love both the snow angel mini quilt and the chickadee. I can easily see why the mini won the customers choice.

    ReplyDelete