Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Gift Baskets--almost there!

I'm making good progress on the Gift Basket quilt.
 It's a very easy pattern and goes together quickly. 
Since I have so many hand sewing projects in the works right now, I opted to do machine applique on the basket handles. I used the method I learned in class from Kim Diehl: open-toe foot, smoke colored monopoly for the top stitching and 50 wt. cotton in the bobbin. Oddly, Aurifil doesn't work for this technique, so my bobbin thread is a very light silver colored Masterpiece.

This is the setting I used on the Bernina 440--a very narrow zigzag.

The piecing of the basket block is so simple--only 4 seams!
This is seam one--a flippy corner.

The flippy corner block gets split...

...and attached to the main basket triangle--seams 2 and 3.
Then the handle piece is ready to add on--seam 4. 
Boom! Basket block done!

Confession:
I had a little trouble getting my corners to come out nicely, so I tried a sneaky trick--glue basting!
OMG--why haven't I tried this before?????
Just a tiny dot of glue at the corners where you see the pins--awesome!

No reverse sewing on this puppy!

Now to do a little block placement tweaking before putting it all together. 
I immediately sewed my waste triangles (from those flipped corners) into half square triangles--not sure what will become of them, but when I need them, they are ready to go!

6 comments:

  1. Looking Great! I too have about 200 half square triangles left from a recent project! Going to make a runner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is going to be such a gorgeous quilt--thanks for the glue basting trick! I did get the pattern for this quilt and am (sometime in the future-hahaha) make it or at least a smaller version...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting... someone else recently posted about glue basting. I have also used that tip, it can really come in handy.

    I love the method you show for making the baskets! Thanks for sharing that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE< LOVE<LOVE this quilt , wow! thanks for sharing your tips about making this quilt, guess I need to order the pattern
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What a complicated, gorgeous-looking, yet fairly easy quilt! I may have to get the pattern, too. Great glue-basting tip, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great way to piece the basket base. You are going to have this quilt finished in no time flat!

    ReplyDelete