Friday, September 26, 2014

A Red and White Quilt Challenge


Back in March, I showed a
 quilt I had designed in EQ7 named Moon Phase, for the Design It! Red and White Quilt Challenge. I had every intention of making Moon Phase for Phase 3: Make It. I just couldn't motivate myself to get started.
Even though I still like what I designed, my heart just wasn't in it.
I think maybe it's a little too "modern" for my tastes.

Last week, I realized that the "Make It" deadline was coming up in 12 days.

 It's now or never, as they say.
 Moon Phase is was out of the question, but there was a block I had come across recently that I thought would be fun:
The block is named Domino.
 I figured out how to make it with all strip sets so it went together super fast!
I used two of my favorite fabrics from my stash:
Buggy Barn dots and a Moda Muslin Mates check.

I made twenty blocks last Friday night....

and played with them on Saturday.
Here the blocks are set all the same direction.

I think I like this a little better....

yeeesss--this is the one!


Well, now you know what I did the rest of the week!
I finished the quilting Wednesday and attached the binding on Thursday.
 

Even though I love the traditional look of the quilting,
 I will never do crosshatching on the long arm again--too tedious!!
I call her Hidden Hearts--can you see them?
Quilted with Aurifil 50 Wt. #2310
Mountain Mist Blue Ribbon All Cotton batting
I can't wait to wash her up and see her all crinkled up and cozy!
Be sure to check out the rest of the Make It quilts HERE


6 comments:

  1. Oh wow! I just LOVE this quilt, the design, the fabrics and the quilting. I can't believe how quickly you bought it altogether - congrats!! And thanks for sharing your process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, red and white is an all time favorite of mine and you knocked this one out of the park! It really is wonderful and the name is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what a neat pattern is Domino--loving the muslin mates check fabric, too. You are a fast worker! hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful finish Karen! and it came together so quickly and red and white is always a winner. The quilting suits it so well :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the name Hidden Hearts! Glad you made a quilt for the Challenge. Mine will be linked up in the AM.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it - a simple block and so effective! A great setting idea and also the perfect name for her!

    ReplyDelete